Garbage & Recycling

Garbage & Recycling

In the Village of Marwayne, we offer curbside pickup of your garbage and recycling using Quik Pick Waste Disposal Services (now Environmental 360 Solutions) out of Lloydminster, Alberta. Garbage and recycling must be placed at the curb side no later than 7:00am on designated collection days. 

Garbage pickup is every Thursday while recycling only gets picked up every other Thursday. For more information on our curbside collection service or the Vermilion River Regional Waste Management Services Commission transfer station sites, please click on one of the menu options listed below!


All recyclables must be placed in see through blue bags for curbside collection. Collection takes place every other week (with some exceptions) on Thursday mornings. For the most up to date schedule, please see the news and events calendar by clicking here


Milk jugs; drink bottles; bleach soap; fabric softener bottles; plastic food containers; etc. Plastics in this category must not be black and be labeled with the recycling symbol and numbers 1 through 7.

To ensure your blue bags are picked up, all containers must be emptied, rinsed and without lids. 

Cardboard and Paper

Paper; newspaper; flyers; magazines; books; milk cartons; tetra-paks; egg cartons; shredded paper; etc. 

To ensure your blue bags are picked up, all cardboard must be broken down or flattened. 


Pop cans; beer cans; drink cans; aluminum foil; aluminum containers; tin cans; etc. 

To ensure your blue bags are picked up, all containers must be emptied, rinsed and without lids. 

Unnaceptable items for recycling

If any of the below items are placed in your blue bags, the bag will not be collected. Please make sure to only recycle items that are acceptable and follow the guidelines. 

Aerosol cans; glass; air fresheners; glass baby food jars; bandaids; batteries; black plastic; bricks; bubble wrap; cellophane; ceramics; cereal box liners; clay containers; bakeware; cigarettes; clean or soiled wipes; cloths; diapers; wet waste; knives; laminated paper; leather; light bulbs; mirrors; nails; needles; nuts; bolts; paint cans; plastic caps; ribbon; rope; rubber bans; scissors; styrofoam; needles; zip lock bags; etc. 

If you are unsure about an item, you are encouraged to bring it directly to the transfer station or place it in your household waste bin instead of recycling. 


For a list of what is acceptable at the transfer station, please click here


Garbage carts must be placed at the edge of the street on your boulevard with a minimum of three (3) meters of clearance around all sides in order to be collected. 

Garbage bins will not be collected if:

1) Vehicles are blocking access for the garbage trucks, parked perpendicular to the road. Garbage bins need to be placed more in the middle of the street to allow for ample access during collection.

2) They are placed incorrectly, with the metal bar facing inward and not outward towards the street. 

Alternatively, you may also drop off your garbage at the transfer station directly. The Vermilion River Regional Waste Management Services Commission handles all inquiries related to garbage disposal as well as what can and cannot be dropped off at their various transfer station locations. To contact the Vermilion River Regional Waste Management Services Commission, please call Fran Schaumleffel at 780-853-1070.

Transfer Station

The Marwayne Transfer Station is open from 10:00am to 2:00pm every Saturday as well as every Wednesday from 2:00pm to 5:00pm (November 1 through April 30) and 2:00pm to 7:00pm (May 1 to October 31). 

Below is a list from the Vermilion River Regional Waste Management Services Commission as to what is and what is not acceptable for disposal. 

YARD WASTE: Leaves and grass must be taken out of the bags before being paced in the burn pit. Bags can be disposed of in regular household waste.

RECYCLING: All items that are to recycled must be cleaned and rinsed. The transfer sites will accept corrugated cardboard that is flattened before it is placed in the bin. We accept boxboard, tin cans, plastics labelled as #1, #2, #4, and #5, as well as newspapers, magazines, books and other paper. Plastics labelled #3, #6 and #7 are not accepted. Do not recycle the following:
#3 (PVC) - Plastic Polyvinyl Chloride - plastic building materials, shower curtains, cooking oil bottles, clear food wrap.
#6 Plastic Polystyrene (PS) — disposable drinking cups, egg cartons, take-out food containers, CD/DVD cases, building insulation, etc.
#7 - Other (Items with BPA) — sport bottles and equipment, car parts, baby bottles, electrical wiring, etc.

LARGE ITEMS: Large items such as fibreglass tubs, showers, hot tubs, must be cut in pieces no bigger that 2 feet x 4 feet. Vinyl siding, plastic pipe and hoses must be cut into 4 ft. lengths.

ELECTRONIC RECYCLING: Televisions, computers, computer components (monitors, printers, scanners).

USED PAINT: Paint, varnish, stain, paint thinner and stripper, and aerosol paint cans are recyclable. Empty paint cans should be placed in the metal pile.

HAZARDOUS WASTE: Approved transfer sites will continue to offer household hazardous waste recycling.There are hazardous waste bins on site to hold acceptable items. Small household-sized containers such as glue, cleaners, insecticides, rechargeable batteries, etc., are considered hazardous waste. Common household cleaners such as oven cleaner, bleach and soaps are not considered hazardous waste and can be put in the household waste bins. if the word “Contains no PCBs” appears on an item, it can also be put in household waste. Fluorescent ballasts, fluorescent tubes, halogen lights or curly bulb lights are to be placed in household waste bins. If there are containers which have solidified, they can be placed in the household waste bins. Small propane tanks that power lights or stoves can be disposed in the metal pile if they are empty. Larger propane bottles (20#) are collected in cages or pallets, and are not to be placed in the metal pile.

USED OIL: All sites have a location on site for disposal of used oil, and empty oil jugs or pails and oil filters are to be disposed of in the used oil compound.

MIXED WASTE: If you wish to dispose of wood or metal upholstered chairs, the cushions must be removed whenever possible. Sofas, mattresses and other upholstered furniture can be disposed in the furniture compound.

TIRES: All types of tires are acceptable, but the rims must be removed before they are placed in the tire compound.

CONCRETE AND SOD: These will not be accepted.


  • Major construction/demolition debris requires special authorization from the Authority. Segregation; a fee may be assessed.
  • Non-residential tipping fees apply.
  • Out of hours access fee of $30 for up to 3 hours will be charged.
  • Plasterboard/gyp rock and shingles must be taken to the Vermilion Transfer Station.
  • For concrete disposal, call the Waste Commission.
  • Triple rinsed containers are accepted at all transfer stations, except Kitscoty.

PRODUCTS ACCEPTED AT LIMITED SITES (Vermilion, Kitscoty, Marwayne, Dewberry and Paradise Valley):

  • E-Waste (computers, computer peripherals, televisions, printers)
  • Used Paint and Paint cans up to 23 litre size
  • Small Household Hazardous Waste


The Vermilion River Regional Waste Management Services Commission has recently changed their procedures for handling of last-minute transfer site closures due to unforeseen circumstances such as inclement weather. The following procedure will be implemented for any last minute closures:

If the weather turns inclement, call the VRRWM office at 780-853-5561 to get updates on whether or not transfer stations are open. An automated recording will inform you of any closures. If you require further information, contact the Vermilion River Regional Waste Management Services Commission during regular office hours. 

We will also be using social media such as Facebook in a further effort to get the information out. So another option is to check the Facebook page of the municipality or the County of Vermilion River before you travel to any sites. 


The burn pit policy for the transfer station is available by clicking here!

The new size restrictions policy for the transfer station is available by clicking here